Reaching Higher NH is a nonpartisan 501c3 public education policy resource for New Hampshire policymakers, changemakers, parents, educators, and students. We are dedicated to supporting high quality public education and fostering high standards that give every student the opportunity to prepare for college, careers, and life in 21st-century New Hampshire. We believe that strong public schools are the foundation of thriving communities, and community engagement in public education is essential to the wellbeing of our students – and all of us. Founded in 2015, Reaching Higher is NH’s leading resource for K-12 policy.
To support these efforts, we are seeking a proven communications strategist to support our media and public messaging campaigns. The core responsibilities of the Communications Director are to lead the development and implementation of RHNH’s overall communications strategy, develop original education policy content, cultivate and expand relationships with allies, partners, the media, and the public, and visioning and oversee all elements of RHNH’s digital presence.
Application and Hiring Timeline
Please submit the following materials to email@example.com, using the subject header line Communications Director 2023:
- Resume or CV with complete employment history and educational background
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and its relevance to your career goals, past experience, and what makes you uniquely qualified for this role.
Review of all applications will begin immediately and continue until the search process concludes. Please check Reaching Higher NH’s website (www.reachinghighernh.org) to ensure that the position is still available before applying. No solicitations, please.
This is a core leadership position on the Reaching Higher NH team. The Communications Director will lead the organization’s key strategic communication initiatives, ensuring they continually uphold and advance Reaching Higher’s organizational values, policy priorities, and the related real needs of students, educators, and community members.
Accordingly, the Communications Director will:
- Lead in the development and implementation of all aspects of RHNH’s communications strategy. This includes overseeing the framing, editorial direction, design, and production and distribution of Reaching Higher’s publications and communications.
- Oversee communications strategies to create momentum and awareness of the organization’s activities and goals, including building and deepening organizational partnerships to expand RHNH’s impact and reach.
- Direct, oversee, and implement RHNH’s digital communications strategy, including managing RHNH’s website, social media, and other communications and outreach platforms, including, but not limited to:
- Planning, designing, implementation and monitoring of social media and digital campaigns.
- Creating, curating and managing social media and digital content, including text, audio, visual and multimedia formats in collaboration with the RHNH team.
- Monitoring digital and social media trends, including developments in design, applications, strategy and innovation to stay relevant and effective.
- Creating comprehensive marketing and outreach plans to boost brand image, increase stakeholder engagement, and improve conversions.
- Lead RHNH team efforts in the visual/graphic design of content including layout, font, color and other aspects of the design process.
- Work in close collaboration with the Reaching Higher NH team to ensure that information, feedback, and inputs from all communications initiatives are efficiently and accurately captured and then leveraged to inform related policy, engagement, and communications work.
- Use analytics, research and data, combined with intel from RHNH staff, board members, and external partners, to strategically develop education policy and related human interest stories, contributing to the development of a wide range of original content for Reaching Higher’s website, social media, and communications and marketing initiatives.
- Lead in the development and maintenance of relationships with major media outlets in New Hampshire; continue to grow RHNH’s role in the state as a go-to source for education policy among the media.
- Regularly explore and leverage new tools and technologies for delivering content to break through communications clutter and demonstrate innovation to RHNH’s target audiences and key stakeholders.
- Provide direct oversight of any/all involved team members and related subcontracts and/or external project partners, ensuring RHNH’s standards of quality, tone, accuracy, and inclusivity are always upheld.
- Work in close collaboration with RHNH policy and executive team to keep informed of legislative activity, curating content to advance RHNH’s policy agenda and overall vision as needed.
- Conduct and document interviews, using audio, video and digital photography to produce polished, branded, and shareable content, as feasible and appropriate.
- Track all related communications-related metrics, data, spending, and deliverables for RHNH’s grants and donors in a timely and accurate manner. Produce analytics reports and content for grant reports and client products.
- Other tasks, as appropriate and assigned.
- Commitment to Reaching Higher NH’s mission, vision, and values.
- A Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent work experience in communications, political science, government, or other relevant field.
- A minimum of five years professional experience in developing and implementing communications strategies, including strategic communications, social media management, and editorial design.
- A minimum of three years’ experience managing digital and social media , including crafting content for social media platforms
- Experience with graphic design tools like Photoshop, Canva or other tools
- Experience with digital and social media analytic tools, including Google Analytics and social media management tools
- Exceptional and demonstrated writing and communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple, complex streams of work in a fast-paced remote environment, making smart judgment calls on where to prioritize.
- Familiarity with education policy and players in NH and an understanding of NH legislative process.
- Ability to work independently, as well as under supervision, particularly in a hybrid-remote environment.
- An overall startup mentality – flexibility, adaptability, commitment and energy –and enthusiasm for working as part of a close, dedicated team.
- Experience in a nonprofit work environment is preferred.
Salary and Work Environment
This is a full-time, salaried position located in Concord, NH with the ability to work on a hybrid schedule. The salary range for this exempt position is $67,000 – $70,000.
This position reports to the Executive Director and closely collaborates with the full RHNH team.
- Must have a vehicle and valid drivers license.
Reaching Higher NH is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.